Back to Newsroom
5/20/2009 TripAdvisor Lays Out America's Best Beaches
Eighty-nine percent are planning a leisure trip this summer, nearly equal to one year ago. Among those taking summer getaways, 26 percent plan to take between seven to 10 days, 21 percent expect 11 to 14 days, and 18 percent are scheduling two to three weeks. Twenty-seven percent said they will take more vacation time this summer than last, while 56 percent intend to take the same amount.
Top 10 U.S. Beaches, According to Traveler Popularity on TripAdvisor.com
1. Fort De Soto Park, Tierra Verde, Florida - Beloved for its pure white sand and clear water, the park's North Beach is a wide, family-friendly stretch of beach that is both naturally beautiful and convenient, with picnic tables, grills, and bathrooms nearby.
2. Bahia Honda State Park and Beach, Big Pine Key, Florida - An exquisite spot for snorkeling, the park draws both those who want to experience gentle, lapping waves and soft sand, as well as those seeking the beauty of the park's flora and fauna.
3. St. Andrews State Park, Panama City, Florida - With abundant wildlife and more than a mile and a half of beach, the park invites visitors to enjoy the exquisite waters of the Gulf of Mexico in a variety of ways, from swimming to kayaking to snorkeling.
4. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Oahu, Hawaii - With a focus on preserving the precious natural ecosystem of the area, the preserve is ideal for swimming and observing coral, fish, turtles, stingrays and other marine life.
5. Kailua Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii - The beach's stunning scenery and turquoise water make it an unforgettable Hawaiian destination, and visitors can enjoy it while swimming, kayaking, or simply taking in the view from the soft sand.
6. La Jolla Cove, La Jolla, California - Known for its breathtaking beauty, the cove's small stretch of beach, and deep, clear water is perfect for swimming and sightseeing alike. Ideal picnicking nearby lets visitors continue to enjoy the views even after leaving the water.
7. Green Sand Beach, Hawi, Hawaii - Located on the southernmost point of the United States, the olive-colored sand alone is well worth the bumpy trek there, not to mention the extraordinary views and blue-green water of this legendary destination.
8. Tunnels Beach, Kauai, Hawaii - Travelers rave about the exquisite snorkeling, but even from ashore the beach is stunningly picturesque, with its aqua water meeting golden sands, surrounded by the lush, hilly greens of Kauai.
9. Honeymoon Island State Park, Dunedin, Florida - What sets this beach apart is its undisturbed natural beauty. Not your typical "beachgoer's beach," it lets visitors interact with the scenic natural environment of the area, from swimming to seashells to sunsets.
10. Edisto Beach State Park, Edisto Island, South Carolina - This uncrowded beach draws visitors to its scenic shores, while the park itself is a perfect camping destination, with a bike trail that makes it easy to explore the quiet beauty of the area.
"Recession be damned, Americans are preparing to pack up the beach bags and boogie boards en masse this summer," said Michele Perry, vice president of global communications for TripAdvisor.
About TripAdvisor Media Network
TripAdvisor Media Network, operated by TripAdvisor, LLC, attracts more than 33 million monthly visitors* across 14 popular travel brands: TripAdvisor, www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.frequentflier.com, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.travel-library.com, www.travelpod.com and www.virtualtourist.com. TripAdvisor-branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 25 million monthly visitors*, 10 million+ registered members and more than 23 million reviews and opinions. Featuring real advice from real travelers, TripAdvisor-branded sites cover more than one million destinations, hotels, restaurants and attractions and operate in the U.S. (http://www.tripadvisor.com), the U.K. (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk), Ireland (http://www.tripadvisor.ie), France (http://www.tripadvisor.fr), Germany (http://www.tripadvisor.de), Italy (http://www.tripadvisor.it), Spain (http://www.tripadvisor.es), India (http://www.tripadvisor.in), Japan (http://www.tripadvisor.jp), Portugal and Brazil (http://www.tripadvisor.com.br), Sweden (http://www.tripadvisor.se), and The Netherlands (http://nl.tripadvisor.com). TripAdvisor also operates in China under the brand daodao.com (http://www.daodao.com). TripAdvisor Media Network provides travel suppliers with graphical advertising opportunities and a cost-per-click marketing platform. Collectively, the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Network have won hundreds of awards and accolades from press and industry worldwide. TripAdvisor and the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Network are operating companies of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE).